Last Updated on March 3, 2024 by Aftab Tariq
Dogs that look like foxes can be quite tricky to identify. Have you ever spotted what you thought was a fox, only to realize it was actually your neighbor’s dog? It’s no surprise!
Dogs and foxes share a close family connection. They both come from wolves, but unlike their wild cousins, dogs have evolved to understand and communicate with humans.
List of 14 Dogs that Look Like Foxes
There are 14 different dog breeds that resemble foxes.
1: Icelandic Sheepdog
Dogs that resemble foxes include the Icelandic Sheepdog. This breed might not be as famous as others, but it’s very loyal, loving, and clever.
They often have a cheerful and watchful look on their faces. Originally, they were bred to help herd sheep, but now they’re mostly kept as family companions because they’re so friendly and get along well with kids, other dogs, and even cats who like dogs. Sometimes they bark a lot, and they need plenty of playtime and walks to stay happy and healthy.
Icelandic Sheepdog Breed Overview
- Classification: Herding (American Kennel Club)
- Life Expectancy: Has an average lifespan of 12 to 14 years
- Size: Ranges from 16.5 to 18 inches in height
- Weight: Typically weighs between 25 to 30 pounds
- Coat and Appearance: Exhibits a medium double coat available in a variety of colors alongside white
2: Keeshond Dog
Dogs resembling foxes include the Dutch Keeshond. This breed often has markings on its face that look like spectacles.
They’re clever, attentive, and quite lively, needing lots of play and activity. Keeshonds are friendly but also make excellent watchdogs, as they’re protective of their family.
They usually get along well with kids, other dogs, and even dog-friendly cats, so they’re great family pets. While they need regular brushing to maintain their fur, they don’t shed excessively.
Keeshond Dog Breed Overview
- Classification: Non-Sporting (American Kennel Club)
- Life Expectancy: Has an average lifespan of 12 to 15 years
- Size: Usually ranges from 17 to 18 inches in height
- Weight: Typically weighs between 35 to 45 pounds
- Coat and Appearance: Features a long double coat with variations of silvery gray and black
I am a dedicated content writer with more than five years of experience, particularly skilled in the art of storytelling. My writing journey commenced during my college years, where I pursued journalism and unearthed my talent for creating captivating narratives.